Fertility specialists are medical doctors trained and certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ABOG) who then undergo further training to specialize in fertility-related conditions, treatments, and medical procedures, for both men and women. Fertility specialists are REI doctors—Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. These specialists not only thoroughly evaluate individuals to determine the cause of their infertility, but they also give each patient a chance to become the parents they are meant to be by offering a wide array of treatment options. For many couples who are having difficulties conceiving, one of the most significant hurdles is taking the first step of scheduling an appointment with a fertility specialist.
After testing is completed, which can differ per patient, your doctor will have a better understanding of the underlying issues and can guide you towards treatment that is best addresses your needs. Some of these treatments include:
- Ovulation induction therapy: A procedure in which ovulation is medically induced, using either oral or injectable medication, to help a female patient produce eggs and increase her chance of pregnancy.
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI): For this procedure, sperm are separated from the seminal fluid and are placed into the uterus with a catheter. This maximizes the number of sperm cells that are introduced and helps improve the chances of conception. Ovulation-stimulating medications may also be used.
- In vitro fertilization (IVF): After medications are prescribed to encourage egg production, eggs are removed during a minor surgical procedure. The eggs are then manually combined with sperm cells in a lab. The resulting embryo(s) is then transferred to the uterus.
- Tubal reversal: A surgical procedure that can restore fertility to a woman who had previously undergone tubal ligation.
- Testicular sperm extraction (TESE): A fertility treatment in which sperm is retrieved from a man’s testicles if they have little to no sperm in their ejaculate.
Each couple’s experience with fertility treatments is unique. Your fertility specialist wants to make sure you are given the best care and treatment possible to help you start a family of your own. There are many fertility services offered when you and your partner schedule a consultation, including:
- IVF with genetic testing
- Complex IVF treatments including egg donor and surrogacy options
- Embryology services
- Egg freezing and storage
- Infertility Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
To learn more about our practice and to discover which treatment may be right for you, please feel free to contact our office at (310) 881-8846 or schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Saadat online. We are here to help you with any questions or concerns you may have.