IVF (in vitro fertilization) has become the most well-known and most effective fertility treatment for intended parents struggling to conceive naturally. This advanced reproductive technology (ART) can involve using a couple's own sperm and eggs or donated sperm, eggs, or embryos.
Basic IVF Steps
The IVF process requires multiple steps and stages. Once you have met with Dr. Saadat for a one-on-one consultation where your potential eggs (resting follicles) and hormone levels (AMH) have been evaluated (and you have been determined to be a good candidate), you will be prescribed medication to have once your cycle begins.
- Between days 1 and 3 of your menstrual cycle, you will return to our offices for an ultrasound and blood work. If everything looks good, you will be instructed to begin your prescribed medications.
- You will return on day 5 or 6 of your cycle for additional blood work and another ultrasound. While these visits may seem repetitive, they are necessary to ensure that all is well and whether any changes need to be made to your medication protocol.
- Between days 8 and 12 of your cycle, you can expect another 1 or 2 appointments. These will include ultrasounds and lab work. During your last appointment (between days 9 and 12), you will be given instructions for your trigger shot, which is the medication that will allow Dr. Saadat to time your egg retrieval based on your body.
- Egg retrieval usually occurs between days 12 and 14. After the mother has been given pain medication and sedated, the eggs are retrieved using an ultrasound-guided needle attached to a suction device. At this point, sperm will be collected from the father. Alternatively, donor sperm can be used.
- Embryo transfer usually happens between 3 and 5 days after egg retrieval (unless you have chosen frozen embryo transfer). A long, flexible tube is inserted into the uterus through the vagina and cervix. One or more embryos are injected into the womb through the catheter. Hopefully, at least one of these embryos will attach itself to the lining of the uterus between six to 10 days later.
A blood test to confirm pregnancy will be scheduled about two weeks after egg retrieval.
3 Ways to Improve Your Chances of a Successful IVF Pregnancy
Every egg retrieval process is considered an IVF cycle (or round). According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, the greatest percentage of IVF success takes up to six cycles.
Some IVF specialists offer cost-saving techniques and packages. Depending on your needs and budget, try finding available options similar to the following:
- Multi-Cycle Packages - Knowing that multiple IVF cycles improve your odds of becoming pregnant, look for an experienced fertility specialist or clinic (with proven results) offering reduced costs per cycle when purchasing a package that includes up to three cycles.
- A Shared Risk Plan - An IVF shared risk plan is a treatment guarantee available to some patients that provides a partial refund if no pregnancy occurs after completing a predetermined number of cycles (usually three cycles).
- Natural In Vitro Fertilization - Natural IVF is suitable for some couples struggling to conceive and is more successful than intrauterine insemination (IUI). It is less expensive than conventional IVF treatments because little to no medication is used to increase ovum production during the IVF cycle.
Do You Want Options for IVF Treatment in Beverly Hills, CA?
Dr. Peyman Saadat is respected worldwide as a leader in fertility treatments and offers several cost-saving options for advanced IVF services in Beverly Hills, California. Reproductive Fertility offers the following basic IVF services and multi-cycle packages, among many other options:
- Natural IVF
- Single-cycle IVF
- Single-cycle IVF using an egg donor
- Single-cycle IVF using a surrogate
- Two-cycle IVF
- Three-cycle IVF
- Shared risk plans
Basic services include fresh transfers. Surrogate and egg donor fees are not included in package prices.
To see if you qualify for any of Dr. Saadat’s multi-cycle packages, shared risk plans, or natural IVF, call (310) 881-8846 to reach Reproductive Fertility in Beverly Hills and schedule your IVF consultation.